AFMG Network
Forums for AFMG Software
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE - Official -> Answer: Why can't I turn my speaker all the way up?
Answer: Why can't I turn my speaker all the way up?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Jim Mobley

With the update to EASE 4.3, the metaphor for SPL mapping has been changed to broad band pink noise rather than the multi-tone metaphor that was used in previous versions.

Here's a specific example, EASE has twenty-one, 1/3 octave bands; open the default Sphere loudspeaker, a loudspeaker with a 100 watt power handling. In the properties for the Sphere, click on All Off to set all bands to 0 dB SPL. Now for 1000 Hz enter a value of 100 watts in the Ele. Power column and click Apply. Note that the values remain black, also look at the bottom of the frequency response graph. See that the Max value and current values are both at 100 watts. Now pick 1250 Hz and enter a value of 100 watts there and click Apply. Now you will see the Ele. Power values turn red, but also note that the Max power value remains at 100 watts but the Current value is now 200 watts. You are applying 100 watts at 1000 Hz and 100 watts at 1250 Hz for a total of 200 watts of power. You have to distribute the power the loudspeaker can handle across the frequency range. You can do this by clicking the All to Max button and click apply. You'll see that the Ele. Power values all go to 4.762 watts which = 100/21; 100 watts divided evenly into twenty-one bands.

That's great you say, but how do I know how loud it will get? The same way you would with an SPL meter. As an example, place the Sphere in a model above a normal audience area at Z = 11.2 m (36.75 ft.). Be sure your area is the normal height of 1.2 m (3.94 feet), the speaker to area distance is 10 m (32.81 ft.). So, 1/10 = 0.1, Log 0.1 = -1 x 20 = -20, so 110 - 20 = 90 dB SPL, and if you set the map to show Direct SPL, Broadband, you'll see 90 dB-SPL directly below the loudspeaker. (You'll have to click the mouse in Peek mode, due to rounding EASE actually computes 89.8 dB-SPL directly under the Sphere.)

This change was made so that the band averaging would work correctly and to allow mapping with A-weighting.

Note that with DLL/GLL loudspeakers, the levels are listed as attenuation, so -0- is full up.

Jim Mobley
Sr. Application Engineer
Renkus-Heinz, Inc.
19201 Cook St.
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610 USA
TEL: +1-949-588-9997
FAX: +1-949-588-9514
www.renkus-heinz.com
mailto:jim@renkus-heinz.com
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:02 am Reply with quote
jitendra

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the detailed information.
For public address system simulations should we take multi-tone or pink noise setting as generally for announcements only speech signal will be used?

Thanks
Jitendra
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:44 pm Reply with quote
AFMG Pedro Lima
Forum Moderator

pink noise Wink
Answer: Why can't I turn my speaker all the way up?
AFMG Network Forum Index -> EASE - Official